One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A form of motor racing in which cars are driven singly or in heats over a course including rough terrain or unmade roads.Compare with rallycross
- ‘But one catch about autocross is that the thrills and spills associated with other forms of racing are likely to be absent, for this sport is more on testing the rider's skill.’
- ‘His dad enjoys rallying, rallycross and the occasional autocross event while his older brother is also enjoying a successful year competing in the National Stages Championship.’
- ‘The picture shows a vehicle being bogged down at the autocross.’
- 1.1North American A form of competition in which cars are driven around an obstacle course, typically marked out by cones on an empty car park.
- ‘By winter they had a drivable car, and by fall, they were racing it on autocross tracks.’
- ‘He achieved the third fastest time during the autocross, only to be penalised for knocking over a cone and dropping to 16th.’
- ‘To qualify for either, a driver gets licensed through autocross events and must have a car with extra safety features, such as a roll cage and a race seat with a five-point harness system.’
1960s: blend of automobile and cross-country.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.