One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘A party with an overwhelming majority cannot ignore the voices of civil society or political opposition, without risking both the accusation of arrogance and the insidious temptation to act autocratically.’
- ‘He reigned autocratically for more than 32 years, but following his downfall his handpicked successor led a transitional government into free elections.’
- ‘Faculty members complained that he behaved autocratically in establishing the center without soliciting their advice and consent.’
- ‘He would often submit questions to them, asking their advice. He kept them informed of his actions, rather than behaving autocratically.’
- ‘This agreement, made in secret and implemented autocratically, tramples underfoot the democratic rights of refugees.’
- ‘In fact, he did not use the Constitution but governed autocratically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.