Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A software function that automatically makes or suggests corrections for mistakes in spelling or grammar made while typing.‘disable autocorrect so you can see your mistakes and find your weak spots’
- ‘I try to type "geocentric" and discover that I have typed "egocentric"; is Autocorrect making a sort of cosmic joke?’
- ‘Hit the spacebar and just like autocorrect, the replacement will appear.’
- ‘Even after two days, with the keyboard's great layout and perfect size, I was leaning just as hard on the autocorrect on the Storm as I ever did on the iPhone.’
- ‘The texter had typed "gunna," but Autocorrect had a better idea.’
- ‘It introduced the world to capacitive touchscreens and virtual keyboards and autocorrect and a real mobile web browser.’
(of a software function) automatically correct (mistakes in spelling or grammar)‘people rely on machines and phones to autocorrect spellings’
- ‘My iPhone keeps autocorrecting when I don't want it to.’
- ‘It has the standard support for expanding small text snippets into full phrases, but also supports variables, autocorrects spelling, emulates key presses, and much more.’
- ‘MS Word also apparently autocorrects chapati to chapatti.’
- ‘Another issue to watch is terms that Google autocorrects.’
- ‘I remember back in the day one could set up Microsoft Word to "autocorrect" common misspellings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.