Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘At elevated oxygen pressures, beta-carotene loses its antioxidant activity and shows an autocatalytic pro-oxidant effect.’
- ‘If the catalyst itself is the product of biological processes, the reaction cycle is called autocatalytic.’
- ‘A change in the gene - a mutation - results not in the destruction of its autocatalytic power but in a modification of the autocatalytic process that now duplicates the altered gene.’
- ‘During the autocatalytic cycle of growth and reproduction of higher plants, the embryo in the seed grows, under suitable conditions, to form a plant with leaves and roots.’
- ‘The observations also suggest that ethylene in ripening is regulated entirely in an autocatalytic manner.’
- ‘This is a complex autocatalytic oxidation-reduction reaction in which one of the active species changes color on oxidation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.