Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A German, Austrian, or Swiss motorway.
street, road, roadway, avenue, boulevard, wayView synonyms
- ‘I love going to Germany and driving on the Autobahns, but the reality is that the German people pay heavily for that facility.’
- ‘According to one radio report, half the fatalities on German Autobahns are caused by tailgating.’
- ‘After his release from incarceration, he worked briefly with construction crews building the Autobahn, Germany's superhighway.’
- ‘I am at home right now preparing for a weekend on the German Autobahn.’
- ‘Major roads are prefixed with a ‘B’ and the motorways are prefixed with ‘A’ which stands for Autobahn.’
1930s: from German, from Auto motor car + Bahn path, road.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.