One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibody produced by an organism in response to a constituent of its own tissues.
- ‘In complete contrast, the overactivity encountered in Graves' disease is due to the aberrant production of autoantibodies, known as thyroid stimulating antibodies.’
- ‘All patients had significant increases in autoantibodies against neural antigens.’
- ‘Examples of these substances include plasma proteins such as albumin and immunoglobulins, pathogenic autoantibodies, clotting factors, endotoxins, and proinflammatory cytokines.’
- ‘Herein we present data on symptoms, alterations in peripheral lymphocyte phenotypes, and autoantibodies observed in adult patients.’
- ‘Autoantibodies such as antinuclear antibodies and myositis-specific autoantibodies bind to proteins normally present inside one's own normal skin and muscle cells.’
- ‘No tests for autoantibodies should be performed without a clinical evaluation that leads to a presumptive diagnosis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.