One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibody produced by an organism in response to a constituent of its own tissues.
- ‘Autoantibodies such as antinuclear antibodies and myositis-specific autoantibodies bind to proteins normally present inside one's own normal skin and muscle cells.’
- ‘All patients had significant increases in autoantibodies against neural antigens.’
- ‘Herein we present data on symptoms, alterations in peripheral lymphocyte phenotypes, and autoantibodies observed in adult patients.’
- ‘Examples of these substances include plasma proteins such as albumin and immunoglobulins, pathogenic autoantibodies, clotting factors, endotoxins, and proinflammatory cytokines.’
- ‘No tests for autoantibodies should be performed without a clinical evaluation that leads to a presumptive diagnosis.’
- ‘In complete contrast, the overactivity encountered in Graves' disease is due to the aberrant production of autoantibodies, known as thyroid stimulating antibodies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.