Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A device which sets the exposure automatically on a camera.
- ‘Some auto-exposure cameras make this compensation automatically; on others you have to do it manually.’
- ‘See, I bought my current camera back in 1993 or so, and although it's a decent camera, I'm not happy with its auto-exposures.’
- 1.1[mass noun]The facility to set exposure automatically.‘a camcorder with auto-exposure’
- ‘Photographs were taken using a camera with auto-exposure facility.’
- ‘There's no autofocus, no auto-exposure, no auto-film-winding, no auto-nothing.’
- ‘This display shows that the camera is in auto-exposure mode and is shooting at 1/60 second!’
- ‘Getting correct exposure with most simple auto-exposure cameras is easy: press the shutter button and the camera does the rest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.