Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually as modifier A car.‘the auto industry’
motor car, automobile, motor, machineView synonyms
- ‘Finding the best auto parts actually depends on you, so make the right choice now!’
- ‘The riders weave through the pedestrians and much of the center has almost no auto traffic.’
- ‘It is not unreasonable to expect the slowdown in car sales to affect auto parts companies too.’
- ‘They brought a gust of cold air with them and the smell of auto exhaust.’
- ‘Plan your needs with financial planner and then apply for the auto loan you need.’
- ‘Did you ever wonder why the North American auto industry is concentrated where it is?’
- ‘Making use of the internet for getting the best suited auto insurance is not a demanding task.’
- ‘Another reason to take a course of this nature is to reduce auto insurance rates.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of automobile.
adjective & noun
- short for automatic
- ‘The manual gearbox has a tendency to be notchy and the auto gearbox doesn't change particularly smoothly.’
- ‘Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.’
- ‘It has a much slower rate of fire than the auto shotgun, but it hits just as hard.’
- ‘I was playing with the auto contrast on my camera, setting it by focussing one area then moving it to point somewhere else.’
- ‘Our cows have foam mattresses to lie on and an auto cleaner that cleans the floor every two hours.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.