Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of authorizing.‘the raising of revenue and the authorization of spending’
right, power, mandate, prerogative, licencepermission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, assent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, seal of approval, approbation, endorsement, imprimatur, clearanceView synonyms
- ‘Both parties involved would need to attend one of the specialist register offices in person to obtain authorisation.’
- ‘But he Eriksson has alleged the pictures were obtained without his authorisation.’
- ‘If the patient decides against the treatment, authorisation and, hence consent, is withheld.’
- ‘Companies can only market products if they have authorisation to do so from the Licensing Authority.’
- ‘Secondly, I think that it's on very, very shaky ground without constitutional authorization.’
- ‘The commissioners in each community were also duly informed and their authorization obtained.’
- ‘To ensure the quality, traders should be asked to obtain necessary authorisation.’
- ‘The problem here is whether the police force have obtained the proper authorization to monitor innocent people.’
- ‘This authorisation is obtained by way of ministerial decree.’
- ‘And he revealed police obtained authorisation to secretly record conversations between the two men in a cell.’
- ‘They had obtained authorization to do the foundation earthwork for the school buildings.’
- ‘Therefore, the search was in his opinion warrantless and unreasonable even though judicial authorization had been obtained.’
- ‘The occupation forces can therefore continue their activities with formal authorization.’
- ‘The governor had contended that he wouldn't even need court authorization.’
- ‘Approval and authorization was obtained from the Director of Bilingual Education.’
- ‘As a result, third parties may not transform or alter a work without the author's authorization.’
- ‘The preference of the attending physician and wishes of the family determine whether authorization is obtained.’
- ‘At no time did he acknowledge a need to obtain congressional authorization.’
- ‘For example, a pathologist will not need to obtain authorization if the research is limited to autopsy samples.’
- ‘If he was against the war, then why did he vote for its authorization?’
- 1.1count noun A document giving official permission.‘Horowitz handed him the authorization signed by Evans’
permission, consent, leave, sanction, licence, dispensation, warrant, clearanceView synonyms
- ‘Despite having all the appropriate authorisations in their possession, they were unable to produce the program for which they had travelled to the country.’
- ‘If Congress acts and the president signs the annual budget authorizations, then you'll see how meaningless that deal really is.’
- ‘The Committee and the City met on September 21, at which time the Committee presented the City with copies of the authorizations signed by the Sandy Beach leaseholders.’
- ‘Customers will sign authorisations and receipts on a touch-sensitive pad.’
- ‘The authorizations were personally signed by him.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.