One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being authentic.‘the paper should have established the authenticity of the documents before publishing them’
genuineness, originalityreliability, dependability, trustworthiness, truth, veracity, verity, faithfulness, fidelity, authoritativeness, credibilityView synonyms
- ‘And just how do you check the authenticity of the author's claim to divine inspiration?’
- ‘A handwriting test will examine the authenticity of the note found in the man's pocket.’
- ‘The judge also held that the authenticity of the confessions would be decided at the time of trial.’
- ‘From the point of view of the much vaunted historical authenticity, it should be interesting.’
- ‘The café on the site has taken authenticity one step further by only serving food the Romans would have eaten.’
- ‘It was all done with stunning authority and authenticity - it was a good production.’
- ‘Each item will be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and an audio CD of the musical sequence.’
- ‘Doubts about the authenticity of the final results will create a danger of instability.’
- ‘Whether this anecdote has any formal authenticity or not is a different question.’
- ‘The American papers, predictably, doubt neither the authenticity nor the import of the tape.’
- ‘Anyone who wants to verify the authenticity of my story can visit the school's archives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.