Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality of being authentic.‘the paper should have established the authenticity of the documents before publishing them’
genuineness, originalityreliability, dependability, trustworthiness, truth, veracity, verity, faithfulness, fidelity, authoritativeness, credibilityView synonyms
- ‘Each item will be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and an audio CD of the musical sequence.’
- ‘The American papers, predictably, doubt neither the authenticity nor the import of the tape.’
- ‘A handwriting test will examine the authenticity of the note found in the man's pocket.’
- ‘From the point of view of the much vaunted historical authenticity, it should be interesting.’
- ‘The café on the site has taken authenticity one step further by only serving food the Romans would have eaten.’
- ‘And just how do you check the authenticity of the author's claim to divine inspiration?’
- ‘The judge also held that the authenticity of the confessions would be decided at the time of trial.’
- ‘It was all done with stunning authority and authenticity - it was a good production.’
- ‘Anyone who wants to verify the authenticity of my story can visit the school's archives.’
- ‘Whether this anecdote has any formal authenticity or not is a different question.’
- ‘Doubts about the authenticity of the final results will create a danger of instability.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.