Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being authentic.‘the paper should have established the authenticity of the documents before publishing them’
genuineness, originalityreliability, dependability, trustworthiness, truth, veracity, verity, faithfulness, fidelity, authoritativeness, credibilityView synonyms
- ‘From the point of view of the much vaunted historical authenticity, it should be interesting.’
- ‘The judge also held that the authenticity of the confessions would be decided at the time of trial.’
- ‘Each item will be accompanied by a certificate of authenticity and an audio CD of the musical sequence.’
- ‘It was all done with stunning authority and authenticity - it was a good production.’
- ‘The café on the site has taken authenticity one step further by only serving food the Romans would have eaten.’
- ‘Anyone who wants to verify the authenticity of my story can visit the school's archives.’
- ‘Whether this anecdote has any formal authenticity or not is a different question.’
- ‘Doubts about the authenticity of the final results will create a danger of instability.’
- ‘The American papers, predictably, doubt neither the authenticity nor the import of the tape.’
- ‘And just how do you check the authenticity of the author's claim to divine inspiration?’
- ‘A handwriting test will examine the authenticity of the note found in the man's pocket.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.