Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process or action of proving or showing something to be true, genuine, or valid.‘the prints will be stamped with his seal and accompanied by a letter of authentication’count noun ‘the authentications were both carried out by the Investigation Bureau of the Ministry of Justice’
- ‘For those concerned about identification and authentication of famous original art, catalogues raisonnés are invaluable resources.’
- ‘Because authentication of artifacts is not the museum's legal business, we only offer an academic inquiry service.’
- ‘They have announced the authentication of a miracle attributed to the Albanian-born nun.’
- ‘Harris Tweed is protected by a raft of laws, stamps, and authentications that would make any copyright pirate balk.’
- ‘Stamped in red ink in a vertical line down its center was the check's authentication: ORIGINAL.’
- ‘The fee for authentication of a document is $32.00.’
- ‘Signature authentication takes great experience and expertise and should be left to experts.’
- ‘His reputation was ruined by his authentication of a forged 60-volume diary.’
- ‘On the threat level, our considerations depend on what the outcome of the authentication is.’
- ‘The gallery director agrees that DNA's certitude in authentication provides the basis for a better risk-management equation for art insurance.’
- 1.1Computing The process or action of verifying the identity of a user or process.‘user authentication for each device ensures that the individual using the device is recognized by the company’count noun ‘passwords and authentications are necessary parts of system security’
- ‘Because network authentications aren't frequently refreshed, an attacker could make expensive premium rate calls and bill them to other persons.’
- ‘Their director of wireless believes that end-to-end authentication could be a greater concern than end-to-end encryption.’
- ‘An example of strong authentication that we are all familiar with is our ATM card.’
- ‘Authentication is usually achieved using password security, with the option of more advanced security where required.’
- ‘In simplest terms, authentication technologies ensure that individuals are who they claim to be.’
- ‘Secure login authentication should be employed to keep out unwanted visitors.’
- ‘For mobile users, firewalls allow remote access into private networks by the use of secure logon procedures and authentication certificates.’
- ‘One of the strengths of our email system is its ability to do online authentication.’
- ‘Users can update applications securely with authentication enabled through digital signatures.’
- ‘The system has a large range of authentication options.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.