Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The ecological study of a particular species.Contrasted with synecology
- ‘Of these five species of woodland winter annuals, only C. verna has received much attention with regard to autecology.’
- ‘However, little is known of the biology and autecology of Clitoria.’
- ‘Nevertheless, given the high similarity in the autecology of these two species, historical factors must have played a big role in shaping their ecology and geographical distribution.’
- ‘It seems unlikely that any of these aspects of their autecology accounts for differences between them either in geographical distribution or habitat ecology.’
- ‘It is obvious that a single data point may not be representative of the overall autecology of this species.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.