Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The ecological study of a particular species.Contrasted with synecology
- ‘It is obvious that a single data point may not be representative of the overall autecology of this species.’
- ‘It seems unlikely that any of these aspects of their autecology accounts for differences between them either in geographical distribution or habitat ecology.’
- ‘Nevertheless, given the high similarity in the autecology of these two species, historical factors must have played a big role in shaping their ecology and geographical distribution.’
- ‘Of these five species of woodland winter annuals, only C. verna has received much attention with regard to autecology.’
- ‘However, little is known of the biology and autecology of Clitoria.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.