One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blind made from ruched fabric, which extends about a third of the way down a window.
screen, shade, louvre, awning, canopy, sunshade, curtain, shutter, cover, covering, protectionView synonyms
- ‘The style of the Austrian blinds is cloudlike with its puffy, billowy look.’
- ‘The Austrian blind uses much more material, so that even when the shade is lowered to cover the window, there are scalloped folds covering the full length of the blind.’
- ‘An Austrian blind, such as that in the photo to the right, can be raised and lowered using a pull-cord.’
- ‘The Austrian blinds are the most decorative of the three styles.’
- ‘They are softer than Roman blinds but more tailored than Austrian blinds with the fullness coming from inverted pleats.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.