One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blind made from ruched fabric, which extends about a third of the way down a window.
screen, shade, louvre, awning, canopy, sunshade, curtain, shutter, cover, covering, protectionView synonyms
- ‘The Austrian blind uses much more material, so that even when the shade is lowered to cover the window, there are scalloped folds covering the full length of the blind.’
- ‘They are softer than Roman blinds but more tailored than Austrian blinds with the fullness coming from inverted pleats.’
- ‘An Austrian blind, such as that in the photo to the right, can be raised and lowered using a pull-cord.’
- ‘The style of the Austrian blinds is cloudlike with its puffy, billowy look.’
- ‘The Austrian blinds are the most decorative of the three styles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.