One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quality or character distinctive of Australia or of Australians.‘bands were toning down their Australianness to appeal to a wider market’
- ‘He couldn't work out where his Britishness ended and where his Australianness began.’
- ‘You refer to that particular quality of Australianness that you and your fellow writers of new wave were trying to explore.’
- ‘What will they make of a country that is so lacking in national consciousness that it is unable to produce a flag that proclaims its Australianness?’
- ‘Individual producers, distributors, and exhibitors inflect key tropes of Australianness, like the bush myth, in different ways.’
- ‘Celebrate our Australianness by showing our usual mistrustful, self-deprecating, egalitarian, good-natured detestation of all such symbols of overt self-glorification.’
- ‘This column has been trying to define Australianness since it first appeared in 2006.’
- ‘The film's grounding in a believable urban situation and its identifiable Australianness obviously contributed to its local success.’
- ‘What this all means is that the concept of Australia, and more so Australianness, is one with Anglo-Celtic culture.’
- ‘The memorial's organization of form and materials suggest a kind of natural, earthy, broad-sweeping and open Australianness in contrast to the ceremonious conventionality of old world edifices.’
- ‘These writers locate Australianness in iconic natural features - weather, animals, bad roads.’
Late 19th century: from Australian + -ness.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.