One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wave of the hand to brush flies off the face.
- ‘‘We just do the Australian salute,’ they say, giving a languid wave in front of the face.’
- ‘It has been said that the official Australian salute consists of a frantic waving of a hand over your face which also serves to frighten off the flies, but only for about a third of a second.’
- ‘We fed some sheep, played with some horses, and most importantly I learned the Australian salute; fly swatting.’
- ‘This costly experiment was supposed to offer the national capital a reprieve from yet another summer filled with the unofficial Australian salute.’
- ‘She taught me the Australian salute. [Wave flies away from face.]’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.