Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An orange or yellow terrestrial flatworm up to 8 cm in length, accidentally introduced from Australia to Britain where it is destroying earthworm populations.
- ‘One subplot deals with Australian flatworms that were introduced to Scotland.’
- ‘The New Zealand flatworm is concentrated in southern Scotland and the Australian flatworm in southwest England.’
- ‘So far, the NZ and Australian flatworms have not become established in continental Europe.’
- ‘The Australian flatworm likes it a wee bit warmer and they're more frequently seen in the south of England.’
- ‘A second introduced species, the Australian flatworm, has been spreading northwards in Britain.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.