Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A severe form of encephalitis that occurs primarily in Australia:‘a tourist died just last year from Australian encephalitis’See also Murray Valley encephalitis
- ‘In Australia there were no cases of Australian encephalitis in the period 1991-97.’
- ‘The virus is the etiologic agent of the Murray Valley encephalitis, also known as Australian encephalitis.’
- ‘An American Pine Gap worker died last year from Australian encephalitis.’
- ‘A visitor died from Australian encephalitis in 1997.’
- ‘Immunization with gamma globulin to Murray Valley encephalitis virus and with an inactivated Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine as a prophylaxis against Australian encephalitis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.