Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of secret ballot, in which votes are cast in private on uniform ballot papers.‘New York became the first American state to adopt the Australian ballot’
- ‘The early adoption of the institutions of representative democracy included the secret ballot (also known as the 'Australian ballot').’
- ‘Indeed, in some parts of the world, the secret ballot was, till recently, still referred to as the "Australian ballot" because we pioneered it.’
- ‘He advocated the "Nomination of Candidates by the Australian Ballot."’
- ‘Preferential voting was for many years known as the Australian Ballot.’
- ‘Balloting procedures were improved greatly in 1891, when the legislature adopted the Australian Ballot Act.’
- ‘One of the biggest stories is the upcoming Australian ballot for the leadership of the ruling Labor party.’
- ‘The secret ballot was first adopted in Victoria in 1856, and became known internationally as the 'Australian ballot'.’
- ‘1890 saw the Australian Ballot system stop voting fraud in Seattle.’
- ‘Goaded on by the newly ascendant Populists, America soon adopted this "Australian ballot."’
- ‘1856 - Australia becomes the first country to introduce the secret ballot - or 'Australian ballot' - for elections.’
Late 19th century: from the elections in Victoria and South Australia in 1856, which were the first in which voters indicated a choice in private.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.