One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the southern hemisphere.‘the austral spring’
southern, southerly, southwardly, meridional, antarctic, polarView synonyms
- ‘Our research team in Antarctica includes eight biologists who travel south every austral summer to study Weddell seals as they hunt beneath the sea ice.’
- ‘The park is home to 105 species of birds ranging from condors and austral parakeets to rheas - the South American ostriches.’
- ‘In the Northern Hemisphere the migration occurs in the boreal winter approximately November - March, and in the Southern Hemisphere's austral winter, June-September.’
- ‘The tourist season is the austral summer, when there's a minimum extent of sea ice, the chance of a few sunny days and relatively more pleasant sailing weather.’
- ‘Polar regions have experienced the most striking decreases in the ozone column; during each austral spring the ozone column over Antarctica is depleted by nearly 50%.’
- ‘At its peak, during the 1999-2000 austral summer season, nearly 14,000 visitors went to Antarctica.’
- ‘We were there in late February, almost the end of the austral summer, and fresh snow dusted the mountains.’
- ‘The cruise season runs from November to March, the austral summer, and that's the only time it's possible to visit Antarctica.’
- 1.1 Of Australia or Australasia.
- ‘And the winds of God go lightly by’ Neath the splendid Austral sky.’
- ‘The business is also the sole stockist in the Northern Rivers for Austral plywood and there are currently heaps of natural timber slabs on sale that are great for kitchen benches and the like.’
- ‘They tell of an innocent Austral lad stumbling into trouble amongst the great and good of Pommyland, months out from an election.’
Late 15th century: from Latin australis, from Auster ‘the south, the south wind’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.