Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Rice is also a potent symbol of auspiciousness and fertility.’
- ‘Paintings of the white tiger, considered a symbol of auspiciousness and repeller of evil, were once seen in every home and they were looked upon as benevolent messengers of the mountain spirit.’
- ‘Because an astrology session brings together the triad of astrologer, client, and universe, one needs to communicate auspiciousness through the environment and the astrologer's behavior.’
- ‘Several kinds of flowers, fruits and leaves that symbolise auspiciousness and prosperity are stacked in fruit and vegetable markets along the roads.’
- ‘According the Chinese culture ‘colourful clouds’ stand for auspiciousness, happiness, finesse and hope.’
- ‘Each element corresponds to a cardinal direction: in order of auspiciousness they are south, east, west and north, while the centre is the earth.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.