Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having been made greater in size or value.‘augmented pensions for those retiring at 65’
- ‘They are simply a reflection of what we have seen in our daily lives, augmented by imagination.’
- ‘I noticed that stressful, anxiety-provoking events encountered during the day had a habit of cropping up in my dreams, augmented to terrible proportions by the merciless magnifying glass of the subconscious.’
- ‘In short, the augmented tuition fee fails to meet current costs, let alone the requisite investment in infrastructure.’
- ‘The two-hour work demands almost 500 performers, including five sopranos, eight other soloists, an augmented orchestra and massed choruses (four of them in this new recording).’
- ‘The fish offerings come augmented by the succulent addition of crab, oysters, mussels, squid, prawn and the most favoured seafood - the delicious lobster.’
- ‘In the birthplace of civilization, we have again run aground on the rocky shoals of nationalism, this time augmented by a religious fervor that increases the danger.’
- ‘An augmented pension plan will enhance employees' retirement prospects.’
- ‘Improved seeds have contributed to augmented cultivation as is testified by the experience of the Land Development Agency during the last year.’
- ‘The historical links between Congolese and Afro Cuban music are well documented and these two guitarists are keen to keep alive the great traditions; they are augmented tonight by a full band line-up.’
- ‘It's too early to tour with the trio as it's just coming together but by next year I hope to come back to the UK with the augmented sound.’
- ‘With his augmented capital, Huang had the old building refurbished in 1908, with the second floor functioning as a pharmacy department while the ground floor served as a shop front.’
- ‘The eight-man band, augmented by a three-man guest horn section, packed the stage with equipment and a wealth of musical expertise.’
- ‘That afternoon the vote, augmented by signed proxy statements, went overwhelmingly in favor of instructing the board of directors to cease its efforts to obtain the Main Street space.’
- ‘The Lieutenant Commander, who has experienced both systems, says the augmented model is a substantial improvement and the new system will be even better.’
- ‘Next, only an augmented international security presence in regional centers, plus targeted reconstruction aid that provides incentives for demobilization will bridge the security gap.’
- ‘Hours later, the howling of wolves, augmented by the valley and echoing off the steep, timbered slopes, woke me from a dreamless sleep.’
- ‘An augmented brain will get so used to its powers - for example, being able to switch on a light by thought - that it will not be able to cope without the implant, he said.’
Denoting or containing an interval which is one semitone greater than the corresponding major or perfect interval.‘augmented fourths’
- ‘The verse riff consists of three pairs of lower-higher swung descending arpeggios that themselves feel like two pairs of augmented thirds, and then a little dip down a step from the higher arpeggio which it lands on for a while.’
- ‘The solo instrumental part, in the treble clef, has a melody line characterised by a falling figure, often an augmented fourth.’
- ‘They projected the first movement with energy, with an eerie second section of pizzicati textures and augmented harmonies leading to the powerful coda.’
- ‘Their only curveballs thrown here are Beach Boys harmonies and the same augmented chord progression, and even these twists are rationed.’
- ‘And several times in the book a diminished fifth rather than an augmented fourth is called a tritone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.