One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An effect whereby an atom which has been ionized by removal of an electron from an inner shell loses energy by emitting an electron from an outer shell.
- ‘First an electron is captured into a bound state and a bound electron is excited (inverse Auger effect).’
- ‘The second is the Auger effect, by which the hole left by the excited core electron is filled by an outer electron.’
- ‘This is known as the Auger effect or autoionization since the ion has self-ionized after the photoionization event.’
- ‘A brief history of the discovery of the Auger effect is given, which is followed by a short description of some of the fields in which this discovery has had a major impact.’
- ‘This process of resonant photon absorption accompanied by electron emission forms a resonant Auger effect or resonant Auger Raman scattering.’
1930s: named after Pierre V. Auger (1899–1993), French physicist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.