Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of science and medicine concerned with the sense of hearing.
- ‘After having your hearing tested at the audiology department of a hospital, a technician will take a mould of your ear so that the hearing aid can be fitted perfectly.’
- ‘His company manufactures and exports hearing and audiology equipment.’
- ‘Facilities for ear, nose and throat, audiology and dermatology patients and a new renal dialysis unit are also included.’
- ‘Allied health consists of various fields such as physical therapy, speech/language pathology and audiology, and respiratory care.’
- ‘Support services may include special education, speech therapy, occupational or physical therapy, counseling, audiology, medical services, nursing, vision or hearing therapy, and many others.’
- ‘She received a master's degree in speech pathology and audiology in 1972 from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.’
- ‘The ambulance was kind enough to book me in, although I was already late for my appointment with the audiology department.’
- ‘Early use of hearing aids plus support from audiology services can improve language development in infants with sensorineural hearing loss.’
- ‘The head of audiology agrees that in many cases digital hearing aids are better.’
- ‘His degree, a doctorate in audiology from a Florida university, followed two years of part time study.’
- ‘Services on offer include podiatry, speech and language facilities, audiology and hearing therapy, and family planning.’
- ‘Of late, audiology has incorporated digital technology.’
- ‘The course is being offered by the department of audiology and speech-language pathology in the College of Science.’
- ‘A person who experiences hearing loss can have a range of tests, usually at an audiology clinic of the local hospital or health centre.’
- ‘However, there are concerns about waiting times in audiology and secondary mental health services, demonstrating that additional investment is very much needed.’
- ‘The state associations for speech-language pathology and audiology also maintain listings of licensed and certified therapists.’
- ‘He denied the existence of any hearing problem and appeared at the audiology clinic only at the repeated urging of his wife.’
- ‘These will include representatives from obstetrics, audiology, infection control and physiotherapy.’
- ‘Other disciplines moving in the same direction are physical therapy, occupational therapy, optometry, and audiology.’
- ‘This is usually the procedure in every audiology clinic before considering a hearing aid fitting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.