One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recording on CD or cassette of a reading of a book, typically a novel.
- ‘I listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and archived radio programs.’
- ‘Gaiman is a fantastic reader and I recommend you rush right out and get the unabridged audiobook of Coraline.’
- ‘Readers with special needs will appreciate large-print books and audiobooks.’
- ‘So I'll get my microphone up and running and record the audiobook as planned.’
- ‘How can I learn to slow my brain down enough to read a book instead of having to do audiobooks?’
- ‘I was listening to a great audiobook on my iPod last week.’
- ‘A Suitable Boy was the only audiobook to win two gold awards.’
- ‘While driving, I would listen to music of my own choosing, audiobooks on a variety of topics, and sometimes have conversations on the Citizens' band radio.’
- ‘I find that I love audiobooks more than printed books for a lot of titles, and I seem to have more time for audiobooks than reading.’
- ‘There is little scope for skipping backwards and forwards, or referencing particular sections of the work when using an audiobook.’
- ‘Maurice and I had worked together some years before when I recorded his story for an audiobook, and we were looking forward to working together again.’
- ‘Well, when I used to drive to York every fortnight I got into the habit of listening to audiobooks, which I really enjoyed.’
- ‘Before he embarked on the 1,500-mile drive in September, he used his computer to download four audiobooks and burn them to CD's - his aural driving companions.’
- ‘I'll tell you what: There are a bunch of people who are just addicted to those things, those audiobooks.’
- ‘Morrison's embrace of popular markets extends as well to the audiobook versions of her novels, which constitute another important merger of ‘high’ art with ‘low’ media.’
- ‘Last week, when I had to record the audiobook, I wasn't feeling very spry.’
- ‘Dealing with electronic media like audiobooks, CDs and DVDs, which can be collected and catalogued like books, is comparatively easy.’
- ‘I discovered long ago that listening to an audiobook cures my insomnia, because I can use the unpausing words of the book to supplant the freewheeling thoughts of my own that would keep me awake.’
- ‘Fans are demanding audiobooks faster than the industry can record them, and prices are coming down’
- ‘A list of the titles on the New York Times Bestseller List, downloadable as audiobooks in MP3 format.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.