One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A recording on CD or cassette of a reading of a book, typically a novel.
- ‘Readers with special needs will appreciate large-print books and audiobooks.’
- ‘Dealing with electronic media like audiobooks, CDs and DVDs, which can be collected and catalogued like books, is comparatively easy.’
- ‘There is little scope for skipping backwards and forwards, or referencing particular sections of the work when using an audiobook.’
- ‘A list of the titles on the New York Times Bestseller List, downloadable as audiobooks in MP3 format.’
- ‘How can I learn to slow my brain down enough to read a book instead of having to do audiobooks?’
- ‘I discovered long ago that listening to an audiobook cures my insomnia, because I can use the unpausing words of the book to supplant the freewheeling thoughts of my own that would keep me awake.’
- ‘Gaiman is a fantastic reader and I recommend you rush right out and get the unabridged audiobook of Coraline.’
- ‘Well, when I used to drive to York every fortnight I got into the habit of listening to audiobooks, which I really enjoyed.’
- ‘Maurice and I had worked together some years before when I recorded his story for an audiobook, and we were looking forward to working together again.’
- ‘So I'll get my microphone up and running and record the audiobook as planned.’
- ‘Fans are demanding audiobooks faster than the industry can record them, and prices are coming down’
- ‘I find that I love audiobooks more than printed books for a lot of titles, and I seem to have more time for audiobooks than reading.’
- ‘I was listening to a great audiobook on my iPod last week.’
- ‘Morrison's embrace of popular markets extends as well to the audiobook versions of her novels, which constitute another important merger of ‘high’ art with ‘low’ media.’
- ‘While driving, I would listen to music of my own choosing, audiobooks on a variety of topics, and sometimes have conversations on the Citizens' band radio.’
- ‘A Suitable Boy was the only audiobook to win two gold awards.’
- ‘I'll tell you what: There are a bunch of people who are just addicted to those things, those audiobooks.’
- ‘Before he embarked on the 1,500-mile drive in September, he used his computer to download four audiobooks and burn them to CD's - his aural driving companions.’
- ‘I listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and archived radio programs.’
- ‘Last week, when I had to record the audiobook, I wasn't feeling very spry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.