One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handheld device which provides recorded information for visitors touring a museum, gallery, or other place of interest.
- ‘You'll find some audio guide numbers on one of the text panels.’
- ‘Similar to audio guides in museums, each phone number connected to a unique recording that described a certain site in Baghdad.’
- ‘There is not a single label or text or audio-guide here.’
- ‘The Met's audio guide adds little to the information published beside the exhibits.’
- ‘The artists' recorded comments on the audio guide revealed their collusion in trendy artspeak.’
- ‘Visitors browse about with audio-guide phones held to their ears.’
- ‘The audio guide will allow visitors to identify important exhibits.’
- ‘His elegant voice is familiar to many who have visited the Met and have used the museum's audio guides.’
- ‘In the New York exhibit, although an excellent catalogue and audio guides were available, the objects had no labels.’
- ‘We are currently developing a pre-visit audio guide for visually impaired visitors to the Eden Project.’
- ‘With your free portable audio-guide, you will learn about the amazing 20,000 objects made or used in the county.’
- ‘Spotting a sign that announces audio guides I ask for them.’
- ‘The display, meant to take about 60 minutes to tour (an optional audio guide costs $6), becomes progressively more gruesome.’
- ‘The tours are guided but you get an audio guide in your language of choice.’
- ‘During my recent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I went to the desk to ask for a headset for their audio guide.’
- ‘You can borrow a free audio guide from the front desk.’
- ‘The tour should take a few hours and hiring an audio guide is advisable.’
- ‘The exhibition is family-friendly and will provide flip panels and audio guides to explain the historical context of each piece.’
- ‘Audio guides have become standard fixtures of many museums.’
- ‘The talking point of the Colourists show is the free audio guide with every ticket.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.