One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A building in which auctions are held.
- ‘They were sitting next to each other in the auction room, and when the gold medallion was put on the block, there was an intense silence in the room.’
- ‘‘I found the wardrobe in an auction room in Omagh,’ he said.’
- ‘These opportunities are limited at the moment, which has created a healthy competition in the auction room.’
- ‘There were eight people in total in the auction room and there were three serious bidders.’
- ‘I have a cottage that I have spent many years renovating so I enjoy sifting through so-called bargains at various auction rooms or junk shops.’
- ‘Users can see the entire auction room contents on thumbnail photos.’
- ‘His love of antiques had grown during his school holidays when he would visit auction rooms with his mother.’
- ‘The person who took his call literally ran upstairs to the auction room to place his bid as the hammer was coming down.’
- ‘We furnished our first home almost entirely from country house sales, and the regular auction room in Grimsby.’
- ‘He said that auction rooms had seen the highest levels of activity since records began in 1985.’
- ‘It went under the hammer last week but emerged from the auction room with its current ownership still intact.’
- ‘Before taking part in an auction for the first time, pay a few visits to an auction room on sale day purely as a spectator.’
- ‘You may already be a fan of the auction room that opened on this website in January 1999.’
- ‘In our impending house move the first thing to go to the auction room will be the brass bedstead.’
- ‘There wasn't much action in the auction rooms this week.’
- ‘The best advice you can give anyone who is interested in a property is to get to the auction room and bid.’
- ‘The auction room was heaving with dealers, collectors and Hirst fans from across the world.’
- ‘Collectors and dealers from all over the world were present in the auction room.’
- ‘The programme then takes a selection of items and their owners to an auction room where they are sold.’
- ‘What they never tell you is that there is something profoundly depressing about auction rooms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.