One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company that runs auctions.
- ‘The auction house is expecting more than 100 people to attend.’
- ‘‘Our mission from day one was to create an international auction house from Scotland,’ he says.’
- ‘A spokesman for the auction house said that hundreds of different lots were presented for sale every week around the world and there were very few complaints.’
- ‘A cigar box used by the wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill has sold for £2,600 at a Swindon auction house.’
- ‘I didn't hassle the auction house for my money at first because it was only £60, but when nothing came after a month I looked into it.’
- ‘The online auction house was at one stage valued at £2 billion.’
- ‘The lighter collection is so large that the auction house is splitting it up.’
- ‘He started his first general bookstore in 1937 and a book auction house in 1941.’
- ‘Learning to price is one of the key benefits of working at an auction house.’
- ‘Each auction house has gambled millions of dollars guaranteeing owners minimum prices, whether their artworks sell or not.’
- ‘The auction house refused to discuss the matter last week.’
- ‘The auction house said it was arguably the most important item of football history ever to be offered for sale’
- ‘Both buyer and seller pay the auction house a considerable commission for effecting the transaction.’
- ‘For a twice-yearly auction event, an auction house receives about 500-600 paintings to select.’
- ‘It is the second time the auction house has sold the belongings of the Italian designer.’
- ‘On the subject of buying and selling, there are now several online entities that can trade without using an auction house or merchant.’
- ‘There is a phenomenal interest in these posters and the auction house has been fielding inquiries from collectors all around the country.’
- ‘The auction house had received interest from collectors around the world.’
- ‘But he didn't mention that he intended to open an auction house of his own in India, though he must have been planning it for some time.’
- ‘But when the painting of the young man came up for bid, no one was interested, and the painting remained with the auction house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.