One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An obsolete form of the card game bridge, in which all tricks won counted towards the game whether bid or not.
- ‘In turn, bridge evolved into auction bridge in the first decade of the 20th century, and contract bridge was developed in the 1920s and '30s.’
- ‘The bridge club offers contract and not auction bridge.’
- ‘This is the game that the plain word ‘bridge ‘originally referred to, before the development of auction bridge and then today's contract bridge.’’
- ‘But he also studied the writings of Milton Work, the greatest authority on auction bridge.’
- ‘She won first prize at auction bridge twice, enjoyed theatres and moving picture shows, went to parties, receptions, dinners, and other social functions, and had a good time.’
- ‘British civil servants in remote India developed the practice of bidding for the privilege of calling the trump suit, thus introducing ‘auction bridge.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.