Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A young foreign person, typically a woman, who helps with housework or childcare in exchange for food, a room, and some pocket money:[as modifier] ‘an au pair girl’
female servant, maidservant, housemaid, parlourmaid, serving maid, lady's maid, chambermaid, maid-of-all-work, domestic, drudge, menialView synonyms
- ‘A non-commercial association of agencies within the UK working to ensure a high standard of services to families and au pairs.’
- ‘‘Nannies and au pairs don't have the same authority as you, and you need to keep close to adolescent changes, ‘she said.’’
- ‘Although au pairs are legally allowed to work 25 hours a week, Jana found herself rather busier than that.’
- ‘In other cases, women answered advertisements by foreign tour operators or employment agencies looking for au pairs, models, housekeepers and waitresses.’
- ‘The number of women employing au pairs, window cleaners and gardeners has increased by only 7.9 per cent in the past five years.’
- ‘As more women have sought full-time careers, various alternative forms of domestic assistance have developed, consisting of armies of contract cleaners, childminders, nannies and au pairs.’
- ‘One day, you see a want ad in your local newspaper: ‘Agency seeking young women to work as au pairs.’’
- ‘Every woman boss depends on au pairs, nannies, cleaners, cooks and women who do the ironing.’
- ‘I wandered along the landing and there at the bottom, because I had a little baby then, were our two Spanish au pairs.’
Late 19th century: from French, literally on equal terms. The phrase was originally adjectival, describing an arrangement between two parties paid for by the exchange of mutual services; the noun usage dates from the 1960s.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.