Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Regarded as being caused by:‘43 percent of all deaths in Ireland were attributable to cardiovascular disease’
- ‘Energy output has been much lower than for a comparable building, although some of that is attributable to an unusually mild winter.’
- ‘There would be a 40-percent reduction in per capita production of greenhouse gases attributable to automobile use.’
- ‘This value increase was also attributable to high inflation, particularly in Mexico.’
- ‘Are successes or failures attributable to management, board decisions, the economic environment, or member actions?’
- ‘E. coli has been a major cause of human illness outbreaks, mainly attributable to the consumption of contaminated beef.’
- ‘We are hearing some complaints from current occupants about problems attributable to the architect's inexperience.’
- ‘He died of a heart attack during filming, likely attributable to the stress of the epic production.’
- ‘The limitations are attributable to the lack of farm-level price input data.’
- ‘Three died within the first month because of complications attributable to pneumonia.’
- ‘These impacts were directly attributable to the reduced output associated with the land idled under the program.’
- 1.1often attributable to (of a work or remark) able to be ascribed to a particular author, artist, or speaker:‘some 50 liturgical works by or attributable to him have survived’‘this may be Leonardo 's earliest securely attributable painting’
- ‘Other works attributable to the painter include a Nativity.’
- ‘Familiarizing ourselves with a set of assumptions attributable to him would be problematic indeed, as it would be for many other authors.’
- ‘This is the version of existentialism attributable to Martin Heidegger and Jean Paul-Sartre.’
- ‘The only real question is how much of this is attributable to the director and how much to the scenario author.’
- ‘If hungry for more information on these particular poems and the others attributable to Wotton, then that is perhaps no bad thing.’
- ‘In this room are a pair of toilet coffers attributable to Boulle, which date from about 1700.’
- ‘No securely attributable paintings by Cennino are known, either in Florence or in Padua.’
- ‘It is an example of a well-known model attributable to the Anglo-Florentine sculptor Fanelli.’
- ‘They always arrived on time to hear 170 children sing every carol attributable to Martin Luther.’
- ‘The elegance of the building is attributable chiefly to the lead designer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.