One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device consisting of an arrangement of resistors which reduces the strength of a radio or audio signal.
- ‘The multiplexer with variable optical attenuator is another design that has pulled together several functions.’
- ‘And a unique glass-reinforced-nylon manifold is molded in halves, joined together by ultrasonic welding, then cloaked with a form-fitting foam noise attenuator.’
- ‘The company claims that moving the attenuator reduces distortion and noise.’
- ‘Unlike a volume potentiometer, an attenuator ensures that the sound quality remains constant: the left and right imaging doesn't shift with different volume settings.’
- ‘Motorola believes that a combination of switchable attenuators and increased public safety signal strength in weak signal areas will mitigate the interference being experienced to a large extent.’
- ‘Most of the work going on globally in integrated polymer components is in the areas of switches, attenuators, filters, modulators, lasers, and amplifiers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.