Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a range of behavioural disorders occurring primarily in children, including such symptoms as poor concentration, hyperactivity, and learning difficulties.
- ‘Forget attention deficit disorder, childhood depression and all the other neo-medical names used to explain why children can be unhappy or anxious.’
- ‘It seems like half of the working world is wondering whether they have attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.’
- ‘This disorder is also known as hyperactivity, or attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘It was then that he had decided to stop taking medication for his attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘This may explain male vulnerability to behavioural disorders such as autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and conduct disorder, say the authors.’
- ‘Those disabilities include autism, emotional and behavioral disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and other learning problems such as dyslexia.’
- ‘Current treatments for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder include a range of social, psychological, and behavioural interventions, which can involve the child, parents, or teachers.’
- ‘Smokers are more likely than nonsmokers to be depressed or have anxiety disorders, bulimia, attention deficit disorder, schizophrenia, or alcoholism.’
- ‘It says that as a result, she was left with expressive language difficulties and some symptoms of attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘Conversely, a lack of emotional engagement between parent and infant is linked to behavioural problems such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and other disruptive behaviours.’
- ‘If the father is beating the mother every night, this may cause an attention deficit disorder in school the following day.’
- ‘Doctors now prescribe it to treat everything from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to fatigue associated with multiple sclerosis and depression.’
- ‘Researchers correlated mercury exposures with neurodevelopmental outcomes ranging from nervous tics to sleep disorders, speech delay, attention deficit disorder, and autism.’
- ‘The non-profit centre, which began functioning with just a handful of children, works for those with autism, Asperger's syndrome, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and learning difficulties.’
- ‘His parents say that he changed within weeks, developing severe learning and behavioural problems and attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘For much of his life he has suffered from problems that have been variously diagnosed as incipient schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorder, and attention deficit disorder.’
- ‘Some children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder could just be tired.’
- ‘Does someone have advice for an adult with attention deficit disorder (without hyperactivity)?’
- ‘She says candida may affect cognitive function in a range of learning difficulties including dyslexia, dyspraxia, attention deficit disorder, autism, Asperger's Syndrome and speech and communication disorders.’
- ‘Many Tourette's patients also suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder, or attention deficit disorder.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.