Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a syllable) without accent or stress.
- ‘In Portuguese, vowels have stressed (tonic) and unstressed (atonic) forms.’
- ‘In this kind of metric versification, neither the actual number of the syllables nor the difference between tonic and atonic syllables had much importance.’
Lacking muscular tone.
- ‘In Poliomyelitis the greatest possible care must be taken to prevent bruising atonic muscle fibers.’
- ‘Atonic and tonic seizures are characterized by a sudden change in muscle tone.’
- ‘The highest levels of intoxication can be life-threatening, producing delirium, coma, atonic bladder and cardiac arrhythmias.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.