One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not written in any key or mode.‘atonal music may be written by obscuring tonal structures or by ignoring conventional harmonies altogether’
inharmonious, disharmonious, discordant, unmelodious, tuneless, off-key, cacophonousView synonyms
- ‘Not one to experiment in the emerging environment of atonal and neo-classical music, his old-fashioned compositions were swept aside well before his death.’
- ‘Brecht's words, juxtaposed against Weill's music, with its atonal harmonies and angular lines, venomously satirized the state of affairs.’
- ‘Why do you think audiences have trouble with modern or atonal classical music?’
- ‘This commitment to rigorously atonal music, planned and performed as a separate entity from the choreography, is at the core of Cunningham's radicalism.’
- ‘In fact, it reminds me very much of Schoenberg's freely atonal music of roughly twenty years previous.’
- ‘Fifty-five years after his death, Anton Webern still leads listeners through a musical underworld where even dodecaphonic and atonal rules simply don't apply.’
- ‘This is an umbrella term for a group of musicians in Japan whose music is primarily atonal, noisy, improvised and loud.’
- ‘When the lectures were first delivered, Bernstein's rejection of atonal music deeply offended many avant-garde composers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.