One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘For testers, the problem has been one of reconciling the relative importance of the holistic and atomistic elements in a syllabus.’
- ‘The dissolution of the feudal estates by the Revolution produced a purely atomistic society, characterized by the assertion of individual property right.’
- ‘They were nevertheless moderns in natural philosophy who accepted post-Galilean science, and propounded an atomistic theory of matter.’
- ‘Both of these ideas have an atomistic view of humans - we're all individuals, and we develop our lives in a solitary way.’
- ‘I used any appropriate method in as accurate a way as possible to unite holistic analysis, which is characteristic of the positivist school of sociology, and atomistic analysis, characteristic of the interpretive sociologies.’
- ‘Modern physics has ceased to be atomistic in the full sense that the Greek atomists intended.’
- ‘Individuals, according to atomistic theories, are not in need of any communal context in order to develop and exercise their capacity for self-determination.’
- ‘By thinking of evolution in mechanistic and atomistic terms, materialist interpretations typically muffle our intuitive sense of life striving toward what is yet to be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.