One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘By positing indivisible bodies, the atomists were also thought to be answering Zeno's paradoxes about the impossibility of motion.’
- ‘He was not an atomist in the mould of Democritus, but he did conceive of atom-like fundamental particles of the four Empedoclean elements.’
- ‘Not all of the mechanical philosophers were mechanical atomists.’
- ‘But whereas the Greek atomists had to guess and imagine, John Dalton, a Quaker and a chemist, used modern scientific reasoning.’
- ‘Others had held that the ultimate parts of ordinary things were substances (Aristotle is thinking of the ancient atomists, whose basic entities were microscopical corpuscles).’
- ‘Although, unlike most of his fashionable contemporaries and immediate successors, Descartes was not an atomist, he was, like the others, a mechanist about the properties of matter.’
- ‘It will be observed that in this respect the early atomists were far more scientific than Epicurus and even than Aristotle.’
- ‘The ancient atomists, like Leucippus and Democritus and Epicuris, believed that the world was made out of atoms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.