One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The spiritual life principle of the universe, especially when regarded as immanent in the individual's real self.
spirit, psyche, self, inner self, innermost self, ego, inner ego, inner being, true being, essential nature, animating principle, life force, vital force, inner man, inner womanView synonyms
- ‘A fundamental message of the film is that we are all connected, just as the Vedas teach that through atman we are all part of the universal soul of Brahman.’
- ‘The one who has discovered the supreme atman dwelling in the heart, without parts, without a second, the universal witness, neither being nor nonbeing, attains the pure form of the supreme atman.’
- ‘The convictions that samsara is nirvana and that atman is Brahman are two distinctive religious conclusions born of such insight.’
- ‘Beyond the senses is the mind, beyond the mind, pure intellect, beyond the intellect, the great atman, beyond the great atman, the Unmanifest.’
- ‘Further emphasizing the same truth Sri Krishna repeats, ‘The atman is imperishable, and it pervades the whole universe.’’
- 1.1count noun A person's soul.
soul, psyche, inner self, inner being, essential beingView synonyms
- ‘Every human being has an atman (individual soul - jiva-atman) that resembles the Universal Soul that is temporarily separated from It.’
- ‘Whether they call it soul, spirit, atman or Buddha nature, all the major religions say that men and women have the same essential nature.’
- ‘Buddhism recognizes neither the mind/body dualism that characterizes much of Western philosophy, nor the concept of an essential self, such as the Hindu atman.’
- ‘We have already seen that the self or atman is eternal and divine, whether it is considered to be identical with or separate from ultimate reality or God.’
- ‘The tip of his heart gets illumined and, being illumined, the atman departs through the eye or the head or some other part of the body.’
From Sanskrit ātman, literally ‘essence, breath’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.