Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characteristic of the legendary island of Atlantis.‘she lives in an Atlantean castle’
- ‘The Mayans, Toltecs, and Incas were popularly believed to constitute the last flourishing of Atlantean races.’
- ‘Edgar Cayce wrote that Cro-Magnons were Atlantean Man.’
- ‘I myself am a native of Atlantis, but Rhea is from the Atlantean colony of Nile, which eventually became known as Egypt.’
- ‘Antartica could, however, been part of the Atlantean Empire, but sure it was not really Atlantis.’
- ‘The sages astounded him with an account from hoary antiquity about the lost Atlantean civilization.’
- ‘The film plays pretty fast and loose with the Atlantean mythology.’
- ‘The Azores were supposedly the tips of Atlantean mountains.’
- ‘He claimed to have had psychic knowledge of Atlantean texts which assisted him in his prophecies and cures.’
- ‘Similarities in language that can be traced to an Atlantean lingual root are across the world, not limited to a single continent.’
- ‘It was this Temple which first predicted the deluge destined to destroy the Atlantean civilisation.’
A native or inhabitant of the legendary island of Atlantis.‘when the explorers reach the city they meet the Atlanteans’
- ‘Kronos, the father of Zeus, seizes this moment to free himself and "influence" the hapless Atlanteans towards war instead of peace.’
- ‘Furthermore, I never bought into the whole idea of Atlanteans as technological supermen.’
- ‘He won't be welcome without proof of being an Atlantean.’
- ‘While doing a "reading," he reportedly discovered his patient was a reincarnated Atlantean.’
- ‘He insisted that it was the refugee Atlanteans who had constructed, or at least designed, the Pyramid around 10,400 BC.’
- ‘His son, Kastor, has assumed his position as head of the Atlanteans and is overseeing the rebuilding of his country.’
- ‘He explained about how both the Atlanteans and the extraterrestrials were involved in ancient Celtic Ireland.’
- ‘Atlanteans were far more advanced in technologies than we are, able to leave the planet and go into deep space.’
1Relating to or characteristic of Atlas, one of the Titans, who was punished for his part in their revolt against Zeus by being made to support the heavens.‘Atlantean shoulders fit to bear the weight of mightiest monarchies’
- ‘His was no Atlantean strength, capable of sustaining any great cause steadily and firmly.’
- ‘"Bearing on shoulders immense, Atlantean, the load Well-nigh not to be borne Of the too vast orb of her fate."’
- ‘D'Alembert abdicated responsibility as editor and left the undertaking to fall heavily on the single Atlantean shoulder of Diderot.’
- 1.1 Referring to a great weight or burden of responsibility.‘I'm terrified you're going to buckle under the Atlantean burden’
- ‘Bold would be the man who should undertake such an Atlantean labour.’
- ‘They gazed on the road with a solemn, placid expression, as of men to whom the Atlantean weight of this weary world was as the down on a feather.’
- ‘Whitman set himself the Atlantean task of uplifting into the sphere of poetry the whole of modern life and man, omitting nothing, concealing nothing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.