One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of the Greek peninsula of Mount Athos or its monasteries.‘a leading twentieth-century Athonite monk’
- ‘It appears=that in the second half of the fourteenth century, Athonite monasteries made prudent and profitable arrangements.’
- ‘We were heartened by the obvious signs of the Athonite revival.’
- ‘My quarrel with the individual monk was disarmed by the extreme simplicity and obvious honesty of the Athonite point of view.’
- ‘The period between the two world wars saw a flowering of Athonite literature.’
- ‘Thanks to the activities of two Athonite monks, we are in a position to glean a considerable amount of valuable information on the pilgrims who visited the monastery.’
A native or inhabitant of Mount Athos.‘like most Athonites at the time, he was a simple monk’
- ‘St. Athanasius, the Athonite, founded a monastery there.’
- ‘The Athonites were able to make use of their financial assets to change the nature of land-holding.’
- ‘Like all good Athonites, time meant little to him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.