Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.‘he is a committed atheist’
non-believer, non-theist, disbeliever, unbeliever, heretic, sceptic, doubter, doubting thomas, agnostic, infidel, irreligious person, heathen, pagan, freethinker, libertine, nihilistpaynimnullifidianView synonyms
- ‘One commenter pointed out there was no category for atheists or agnostics.’
- ‘Most of my college professors and intellectual mentors were devout atheists.’
- ‘For years we had people utter a religious oath, even when many of them were atheists or agnostics.’
- ‘These methods of proving the existence of God to an atheist may satisfy some, but not all.’
- ‘Most agnostics are closer in beliefs to atheists than to theists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.