One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A black-handled, double-edged ritual knife used in modern witchcraft.
- ‘I have poured over images of athames in catalogs, and peered through the glass at shops, scrutinizing the handle, the shape of the blade, the sheath, only to feel that it just doesn't fit.’
- ‘He took the athame and plunged it into her stomach.’
- ‘She turned away from the ancient athame that she had been studying to watch the Lord Protector approach.’
- ‘She raised her athame once more with a shaking hand.’
- ‘Another area where magical activity can fall foul of the law is the carrying of ritual knives and swords, for example the athame.’
- ‘And we witches and warlocks must always have our athames with us.’
- ‘You don't need candles, an athame, and a herbal garden to be a Wiccan.’
- ‘He felt his pocket and felt the athame he had stolen from Martix.’
- ‘The tool I most often carry with me to group rituals is a knife, what most people would call an athame.’
- ‘She held an athame in her hand, which was what she used to kill the defenseless animal.’
- ‘Check in your state to find out if athames are legal.’
- ‘Many brought their own chalices, athames and swords so that the altar represented each of us.’
- ‘Whatever the athame was used for is of a magnitude I could not venture to imagine.’
- ‘Balthazar waved his hand and an athame appeared in it.’
- ‘Jordan yelled as she ducked to avoid an athame that was thrown at her.’
- ‘Many Wiccans, teens especially, don't have athames, cauldrons, wands… but use substitutes.’
- ‘Her silver athame, with Celtic runes in the handle was laid to the right on the altar.’
- ‘From that point on I pretty much put down my wand and athame and refused to do any more spells.’
- ‘He opened it up and found several different evil looking things; athames, black books, swords, potion ingredients.’
- ‘One athame looked much like a switch-blade, with a nice silver blade and a red handle that she grasped tightly in her right hand, bringing it across her chest in a swift movement.’
1930s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.