One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beta blocker used mainly to treat angina and high blood pressure.
- ‘Your doctor may consider prescribing preventative medication such as a beta-blocker (for example, atenolol or propranolol).’
- ‘The doctor taking care of your blood pressure might not know you have psoriasis, or may not be aware that beta-blockers like atenolol might make this skin condition worse.’
- ‘The beta blockers, including propranolol, nadolol, atenolol, metoprolol, and timolol, are effective but may cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and decreased exercise tolerance.’
- ‘Beta blockers like atenolol, metoprolol and propranolol can all slow the pulse.’
- ‘Your doctor needs to review your medicines since atenolol is a beta blocker that can aggravate asthma.’
1970s: perhaps from a(ngina) + ten(sion) + (propran)olol, a related compound.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.