One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Partial collapse or incomplete inflation of the lung.
- ‘The tumor or its effects, atelectasis or pneumonia, are usually evident on the chest radiograph.’
- ‘We plan to reduce his ventilation setting further, although previous attempts in taking him off night ventilation have resulted in retained secretions, atelectasis, and pneumonia.’
- ‘This edema leads to hyperinflation and atelectasis of the lungs, and wheezing.’
- ‘Hypoxemia, for example, has significant clinical implications, yet hypoxemia in itself is not a diagnosis but a component of other diagnoses such as atelectasis or pneumonia.’
- ‘Indications for postoperative mechanical ventilation are respiratory acidosis, severe hypoxemia, atelectasis, and pneumonia.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek atelēs ‘imperfect’ + ektasis ‘extension’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.