One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
If matters continue in this or that way.‘at this rate, I won't have a job to go back to’
- ‘Neither are ever likely to get finished at this rate; perhaps I'd be better off turning them into short stories or something.’
- ‘Still, it would be pretty hard to include ‘computer consultant’ on my business card at this rate.’
- ‘But, in an e-mail to the executive committee, Mr Middleton claims there will be no students left at this rate.’
- ‘I'll probably end up stabbed in a gutter somewhere at this rate.’
- ‘At that rate, bankers and expense account diners only need apply.’
- ‘Plus I can do it whilst continuing on with Season 6 of The X-Files on video as I'm never going to get it fiinshed at this rate!’
- ‘We were going to have no chairs left at all, at this rate.’
- ‘Heck, at this rate, they'll be bringing back disco and the polyester leisure suit.’
- ‘Mate, enjoy making fun of our columnists because they've only got a few years left at this rate…’
- ‘This week is going to drag on for ever at this rate.’
- ‘So, at this rate, the goal of universal basic education could be attained by 2006: nine years ahead of schedule.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.