Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Engaged in work at an active rather than a theoretical level in a particular field:‘academics should work closely alongside the clinicians at the coalface’
- ‘At last the truth is out - and it's a truth all of us slugging away at the coalface while the fat cats dine out on our labours have suspected all along.’
- ‘The responsibility for changing the system lies with barristers, judges, solicitors, paralegals and all those who work at the coalface of the legal system, he said.’
- ‘The bigger we became, the further removed we were from our people at the coalface.’
- ‘I believe that a party leader must listen first and foremost to the parliamentary party because they are the people who are out working on the coalface.’
- ‘My full-time career on the Bolton Evening News ended at the week-end when I retired after nearly 39 years of honest toil at the coalface of provincial journalism.’
- ‘Some of these leaders had never been at the coalface - they were university graduates and reached their positions through that path and I think it had a negative effect on the trade union movement as a whole.’
- ‘Clinical ethics committees cannot alone cope with the demands of ethically troubled doctors at the coalface.’
- ‘There is a mismatch between what we believe and what is actually happening at the coalface of the economy.’
- ‘What is missing from this otherwise comprehensive compendium is a practical guide for clinicians at the coalface.’
- ‘Unfortunately, their good work is undermined by a professional association that is more attuned to the elites than to those at the coalface.’
- ‘The company likes to drive up the share price but doesn't pass on the benefits to those at the coalface.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.