One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In addition; furthermore.‘it was not fog but smoke, and very thick at that’
- ‘All a matter of opinion, of course, and in the cases of Randall and Morris, an educated opinion at that.’
- ‘She let out such a yelp and it was no wonder, as Tom had nothing on but a shirt and it wasn't too long at that!’
- ‘No, this shore is not a destination for me; it is just a refuge, and a temporary one at that.’
- ‘We are the kind of people, he thought, who buy their own furniture and second-hand at that.’
- ‘When she fell pregnant, Sara was hoping she would be having twins - and girls at that.’
- ‘We now live in a country where citizens can be executed without trial, and by a foreign government at that.’
- ‘London looks set to receive a new evening paper soon, and a free one at that.’
- ‘All the time a game of football was being played, and a pretty good one at that.’
- ‘So, the Tate is at least making an effort to display more art, and a big, expensive one at that.’
- ‘Instead of thunder, the company had been struck by a need to change the cast, and no minor change at that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.