One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As and when someone wishes.‘the landlord could terminate the agreement at his pleasure’
- ‘Department managers, once kings and queens of their own domains, would serve at the mayor 's pleasure as his cabinet.’
- ‘They don't value families; they value having the authority to control others or punish them at their pleasure.’
- ‘Do you, Senator, want judges and mayors to be able, at their pleasure, to render laws useless?’
- ‘However, to appease smokers, ashtrays are to be erected outside the foyer where people will be able to smoke at their pleasure.’
- ‘It was never enough to read and fill my mind with rich thoughts, to call upon at my pleasure, for I wished to summon them all at once in a moment of supreme consciousness.’
- ‘Yes, many people like the book, and it would be stony-hearted of me not to be pleased at their pleasure.’
- ‘The liberty of the subject is not safe when they can imprison at their pleasure, and keep men in jail till their health is impaired, without even the form of a trial.’
- ‘The next morning you can loaf around at your pleasure, and in the afternoon there will be a demonstration of a back massage, followed by gentle exercise and some stimulating oils to prepare you for your journey home.’
- ‘Well, I serve, obviously, at the president 's pleasure.’
- ‘He resides in this country at our pleasure, on a temporary protection visa, and has no right to call himself Australian yet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.