Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ready to assist the person concerned in any way they wish.‘I am at your disposal until Sunday’
- ‘He was taken aback, particularly given the youthful resources at Magath 's disposal, by the extent to which both had tinkered with successful squads.’
- ‘The rampaging left back ended the year as the only outfield player at Stan Ternent 's disposal to have started every single game.’
- ‘And after becoming the only senior striker at Steve Cotterill 's disposal ahead of tomorrow's tasty Turf Moor clash with Liverpool, Moore now has the Reds fixed firmly in his sights.’
- ‘It does, and it matters because if the Kirk could sort out its structures and its bureaucracy it would free up the many fine, creative and energetic people it has at its disposal.’
- ‘It's hardly a level playing field in terms of the personnel at each manager 's disposal, but the pitch itself might well make up for that.’
- ‘I'd prefer to play in the midfield, but I'm completely at the coach 's disposal.’
- ‘It says something about the quality of players at Antonio Oliveira 's disposal when a side who haven't even qualified for the World Cup in 16 years are being tipped, albeit as an outside bet, to lift the trophy that is coveted around the globe.’
- ‘The little striker, one of five at Bobby Williamson 's disposal, ran at Celtic with refreshing confidence, and might have scored had his fierce shot from 25 yards not soared wide of the left-hand post.’
- ‘Nor was it unusual for police resources to be diverted from their official use to be put at the disposal of this parallel structure.’
- ‘Ritchie signed for Rangers without having spoken to his new manager but was happy to put his career at the Dutchman 's disposal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.