One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without method or conscious decision.‘he opened the book at random’
unsystematically, arbitrarily, randomly, without prearrangement, without method, unmethodically, haphazardly, without conscious choice, leaving things to chanceView synonyms
- ‘When paying for a taxi, don't look at your wallet as you take out a bill - just grab one at random and hand it over.’
- ‘He put unbound sheets into a box and invited us to read them at random!’
- ‘The questions are generated on the computer system at random from a question bank.’
- ‘Manu and Nadine meet up, and go on a road trip, picking up men, and killing at random.’
- ‘Chrissy picked the blue map book up from the floor by her feet and opened it at random.’
- ‘The chicken will begin its walk from a corner of the field chosen at random just moments before the event takes place.’
- ‘The attack was unprovoked and it seems he was selected at random for assassination.’
- ‘By way of comparison, I went to the book shelf and picked out three Ian Fleming books at random.’
- ‘Ernie opens a page at random, nods his head approvingly, and begins to read.’
- ‘The head monkey grabs a stick and flails around at random, whacking his compatriots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.