Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
As soon as one can without difficulty:‘please telephone me at your earliest convenience’
- ‘I hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss the status of your investigation, and what actions you intend to take.’
- ‘Please let me know at your earliest convenience what your actual breastfeeding policy is and how it is implemented in practice.’
- ‘I would be grateful for your attention in this matter at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Remember to fill up your full membership form and return to the Club Secretary at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Application forms requesting identification cards have recently been delivered from the electoral office and this is to remind you to return them completed at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Subscribers wishing to discontinue with the Messenger please inform Maura at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Therefore we would be grateful if you could bring your sessions to a close at your earliest convenience.’
- ‘Please send your contributions at your earliest convenience, but no later than 10 March.’
- ‘Could any persons who still have outstanding dinner dance ticket money please hand it in at your earliest convenience to any committee member.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.